End of Summer Treatment
Padabhyanga and shrio-abhyanga (foot and head rub with oil) are two Ayurvedic treatments that, when combined, help to ground and stabilize you, providing you with rest and a deep sense of peace. Padabhyanga stimulates all of your organs and can provide relief for nervousness and insomnia along with increasing your immunity. Because of the foot's unique relationship with the lower body, this treatment energizes the womb, belly, pelvis and colon and improves circulation. Shiro-abhyanga is effective at relieving symptoms of insomnia, exhaustion, inflammation and eye discomfort among other benefits. These are excellent therapies to receive as summer ends when when our tissues begin to dry out and we may experience feelings of restlessness, nervousness, anxiety and/or experience interrupted sleep and insomnia.
- Improves circulation
- Hydrates skin
- Inspires deep state of relaxation
- Boosts immune system
- Relieves feelings of exhaustion, restlessness and anxiety
- Quiet: You will have a chance to ask questions and share anything that is on your mind at the beginning of the treatment when meeting with me and also at the conclusion of the treatment. Ayurvedic treatments are provided with the belief that silence and quiet enhance the effects of the treatment, so I will be mostly quiet during the treatments. If you would enjoy conversation during the treatment, please feel free to initiate it. I also allow natural sounds to play in the background, but if you would prefer music or no sound, please ask at any time.
- Periods of rest: Directly following each hands-on portion of the treatments are periods of rest. I will leave the room to allow you greater relaxation during this time. Focusing on your breathing and the sensations of the treatment are wonderful ways to notice the benefits of these therapies as they are sinking in.
- Oil: Warmed oil will be used during both treatments and towels will be provided if you wish to remove excess oil before you leave. Oil is believed to be incredibly nourishing for all layers of the body (from the skin to the organs) and you may wish to leave most of it on and wait several hours before washing it off. Because oil will be used in your hair, you may wish to bring a headband, hat or headscarf to cover your head following the treatment until you are able to rinse the oil from your hair.
- Clothing and Jewelry: These treatments can be performed with your clothing on and rings/bracelets/necklaces removed. If you feel more comfortable receiving the therapies by removing/loosening any clothing that feels constraining to you, you may do so. Blankets and sheets will provide you with additional coverage during your treatment.
General Availability and Location:
Appointments can generally be scheduled on Thursdays (12:00-3:30pm) and Fridays (2:00pm-5:00pm). All appointments take place at Sky House Yoga located at 911 Silver Spring Ave., Ste. 201, Silver Spring, MD. This location is convenient to the Silver Spring metro station and has ample metered parking available. Please email Hannah to discuss and confirm a specific date/time.
“The Ayurvedic route to great health involves two simple steps:
1. Doing less and 2. Being more.” ― Shubhra Krishan